This timeline follows events in Norfolk from the Brown v. Board of Education ruling through the closing of six Norfolk public schools and their eventual reopening in February 1959.
Among the sources used in the the timeline are:
- Brewbaker, John Joseph. Desegregation in the Norfolk Public Schools. Norfolk, VA: Southern Regional Council, 1960.
- Gruss, Mike and Philip Walzer. "Pioneers of Progress." (Series: Brown v. Board of Education: 1954-2004). The Virginian-Pilot, February 1, 2004. (Factiva)
- Nichols, James Andrew. The Turning of a City's Soul: Norfolk's Public School Integration Crisis, 1954-1959. M.A., History, VPI, 2003. (http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-09192003-125601/unrestricted/Nichols.pdf)
- Parramore, Thomas C. Norfolk: The First Four Centuries. Charlottesville, VA: University Press of Virginia, 1994. (Chapter 25: A sojourn in the Byrd-cage, pp. 362-376) F234.N8P375 1994
- White, Forrest R. Pride and Prejudice: School Desegregation and Urban Renewal in Norfolk, 1950-1959. Westport, CT: Praeger, 1992. HT177.N66W45 1992