June 1930: Ruth Wilson becomes the first female student to register for classes at the Norfolk Division of William & Mary.
September 1930: The Norfolk Division of William & Mary opens for its first semester with over 200 students registered for classes, 81 of which are women.
Fall 1930: The first organizations for women are formed including the Cotillion Club, Tri-K Club, and the Women’s Student Government Association
Fall 1930: The first women instructors were hired, including Kathleen Bruce, Ph.D. (Professor of American History), Sarah Redwine, B.A., M.A. (Instructor of English), Ethel Childress, A.B. (Instructor of Mathematics and Physics), and Mary O. Parker, B.S. (Instructor of Physical Education and Director of Athletics for Women)
1931: The women’s basketball team holds their first game in March 1931 against the William & Mary freshman team
1935: As of the 1935-1936 academic year, 6 of the 21 staff members at the Norfolk Division are female
1936: Athletic Director Tommy Scott hires Margret Holman to establish an expanded intramural athletic program for women that includes badminton, fencing, basketball, swimming, ping-pong, filed hockey, archery, and tennis